November 21, 2018

Low-Carb Spicy and Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies



One of the items on my autumn/hygge bucket list was making pumpkin cookies. I have really been into baking lately, in the last couple of months I baked something every single week. These days I am experimenting with low-carb, sugar free, low calorie treats, and I still enjoy backing just as much as I did years ago. And then I am having even more fun photographing the pretty treats. 



Last weekend it was time for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. The last time I made them was years ago, when I was in the search for a great pumpkin cookie recipe. Back then I even tried out three different recipes, this cookie turned out the yummiest. This year I looked for a healthier alternative that could be made with whole wheat flour (or even a non-wheat flour) and without butter/margarine and sugar.



This is the recipe that I ended up using, but I did modify is slightly and added some extra ingredients that I thought were missing and would be making the cookies more nutritious and richer in flavor. 
I decided to leave completely out the butter or the coconut oil, and instead added an egg and slightly more pumpkin puree than Amy's recipe required. I also ditched the cornstarch (since I had non at home and thought it could be left out), added more spices to the batter. I love to spice up my holiday treats, so I added a big teaspoon of cinnamon and another teaspoon of gingerbread spice-mix. I also substituted the required agave or maple syrup with calorie free Eritrit. To make it richer and nuttier I added some smooth peanut butter and some chopped walnuts as well. 



I ended up with really delicious, rich, spicy, soft and chewy pumpkin cookies. This recipe is definitely a keeper. 



Ingredients: 

  • 120 g whole wheat flour
  • 200 g pumpkin puree
  • 1 medium egg
  • 100 g sugar or equaling sweetener 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon gingerbread spice mix
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 50 g dark chocolate chips
  • 50 g peanut butter
  • 50 g walnuts, chopped 




Instructions:
1.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, gingerbread spice mix and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, egg, peanut butter, sugar/sweetener and vanilla. Add the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated. Fold in the the chocolate chips and the walnuts.

2. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.  Do not overbake them. They won't be be chewy but too try and biscuit-like which is definitely not what choc chip cookies should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment