November 22, 2018

Empties: Skincare Products I've Used Up



In the beginning of the year, right after I became jobless, I vowed myself not to buy any more new skin care or make up products until I used up the ones I already have stacked up. In the previous years, due to my shopping addiction and because I thought I could shop myself happy, I had accumulated so much beauty products that could easily last me at least a couple of years (well, my lipstick collection could last me the rest of my life, and I plan to live a long long life, but really, that's a totally different addiction.). Most of the year I have been sticking to the plan. Truth be told, I did buy a couple of necessary items that I had already run out (such as deodorants, shower gels, dry shampoo, etc.), and I could not resist ordering a couple of Pixiboxes in the spring.



My skincare routine has changed quite a lot this year. I tend to gravitate towards more natural and bio products now, I am also more open trying out drugstores own brands, as I find their quality just as good as those of the popular high street brands. At the same time, I have mostly stopped buying both the high street brands and the higher end, more luxury brands. Nevertheless, I have been using up my stack and I am continuing doing so until I use them up all, until I run out of all facial creams, gels, body lotions, shampoos, etc. I have really gotten into the habit of purchasing new items only when really needed as the old ones are totally used up and gone. Once I run out of my old stack, I plan on switching to more natural and simpler beauty and skin care products. 




Anyway, here are a few of the products that went empty lately and my thoughts on them.


Percy & Reed Perfectly Perfecting Wonder Balm: Got this as a free present with a magazine I bought last December on my long weekend in London. Supposedly it preps and primes my hair, making in soft and smooth, getting rid of frizziness. It does get the job done, as it makes my hair nice, shiny and soft, but it did take me an entire year to use the 75 ml tube. I hardly ever use hair balm, I just don't care enough about my hair and don't feel the need to purchase yet another product for my hair. Would I buy it again? Nope. Definitely not for the 23 euro retail price, and it's not sold in Hungary anyway.

Nivea BB Cream: This is from a couple of years ago, I don't even remember why I purchased it. I guess I wanted to try out a BB cream, something hydrating that comes with a slight tint. I don't like Nivea skincare products, I don't think I ever use them anymore. This BB cream is also a disappointment, as it makes my skin greasy and shiny an hour after applying it, it's just not comfortable to wear. The only plus side is that it does give a nice even tanned complexion, almost like a foundation. Would I buy it again? Nope, never. 

Yves Rocher Hydra Vegetal Intensive Hydrating Mask: It's been more than a year since I shopped at Yves Rocher, and I don't plan returning. For a short period of time I did spend a shitload of money on various skincare items at YR, but I just did not find their quality as high as their prices. Honestly, their products are way overpriced and it's all about marketing. As for this mask: I liked the packaging, as it's a 75 ml tube and not a single use hydrating mask, hence it's more environmentally friendly and more economic. It did get the job done by hydrating my skin after a clay mask and exfoliation, but I just don't feel need to have it as part of my skincare routine, as I use a hydrating serum/cream and facial oils on a daily basis, and that's enough. Would I buy it again? No, I don't plan on returning to Yves Rocher.

Yves Rocher Hydra Vegetal Moisturizing Tonifying Lotion: I ordered the Yves Rocher Pixibox in the spring, it contained their then newly launched Hydra Vegetal range. I used to love the older version of the Hydra Vegetal line, especially their serum. I was hoping that the Pixibox would have it, but alas it did not. The new Hydra Vegetal range did not disappoint though. I love the pretty aqua packaging, the fresh, comforting scent of the products and they do what they promise.  I enjoyed using this lotion, it did tonify my skin, took off the remains of the make up, and did not make my face less moisturized. It is generally a nice good product. But for this price, I would not purchase it again. The classic micellar water by Garnier is just as great and has half the price. 




Balea Aqua Serum: This is a great little hidden gem at DM, especially for its price. It costs about 3.5 euros, and works just as  well as any other higher end or high street brand serums - and cost a quarter of the price. It's easy to apply, comfortable to wear, hydrates my skin, does not make it shiny or sticky. I simply love it. I am definitely re-purchasing this one. 


Bourjois Healthy Mix Anti-Fatigue Blurring Primer: This is another great gem. I love most of the Bourjois products, this one did not disappoint either. I use it under my foundation (which is a by Bourjous). It primes my face nicely, making my skin even and the foundation longer lasting. Would I buy it again? I might, but not for now. I have a couple of other primers that I should use up first, and to be honest I don't really feel the need to apply primer under foundation. The foundation itself gives enough coverage, and my face does not need that much coverage anyway.

Uriage Eau Thermale Water Eye Contour Cream: I got this as part of a Eau Thermale package along with a serum and a face cream. I used up and loved the serum quickly, used about about a third of the face cream and lost the tube (which I am still sad about) months ago. This is a great hydrating line by Uriage, definitely high quality products. But I just don't feel the need for a separate product for the eye are on my face, my general hydrating face cream gets the whole job done. Would I buy it again? Nope, I don't need it.

Lancome Matte Shaker in the shade Pink Power: I love love love this matte liquid lipstick, this is definitely a rebuy. This is not a full size though, as I got this last December along with a Lancome mascara as part of a holiday gift set. Since then I bought  a couple of other shades of the Matte Shakers, and I am still in love. It's very comfortable to wear, long lasting, pretty much perfect. I am planning on re-purchasing in the next few weeks, but waiting until it goes on sale, as it's quite pricy. 

Terra Naturi Hydro Hyaluronserum: similarly to the Balea Aqua Serum, this a great low price alternative to the high street brand serums. It's Müller's own, natural brand, costs only about 4 euros. I did get the job done, but I did not like the slightly strong citrusy scent and it give my face a stingy feel at times. For this price, the Balea serum is better and I am sticking to that one.






No comments:

Post a Comment