September 10, 2011

Treasure in the Cellar

As you can assume from the previous posts, I am home for the weekend, and I am spending today and tomorrow at my Grandma's. The weather has been getting a teeny bit chilly in this kneck of the woods, right now I am sipping a cup of marvellous Milford's Schneewalzer tea (it's called Hópelyhek tánca in Hungarian, isn't that simply splendid?) and wearing a pair of SOCKS. God only knows when was the last time I actually wore a pair of socks on my most certainly actual feet. It must have been some time around May. Or June, maybe?  Naaaay, it couldn't have been June, cause that month was hot as hell. Anyhow, I am almost cold, and I love the feeling of being almost cold. The sun has also completely gone A.W.O.L. today, nevertheless, I am having fun, enjoying the company of my darling Grandma and, mostly, playing with my camera and taking tons of photos of silly little nothings. (Then I upload them to my computer, take a closer look at them, and realize that I have taken a bunch of crappy photos again, and delete most of them.)

Most of the time I play the game of wandering around in and around the house, drifting from kisház to hosszúház, from shed to lathe, from ganary to pantry, from garage to cellar, from garden to courtyard*. I am looking for the tiny details I haven't discovered in the previous 24 (and a half) years, long-lost memories, stuff that has been lying around forever but needs to be rediscovered. Every now and then I do get lucky, and find some real treasure here and there. Today I wandered down to the cellar which has been used as a carpenter's workshop by my uncle, but we also store there various odds and ends. This time I rediscovered my grandma's old Singer sewing machine, or rather the desk that came with it and its beautiful wrought iron legs. The sewing machine itself has been long gone, but the desk has been around as long I can remember. But I never really payed attention to that fine wrought iron work. Such a shame it has been abandoned and corroding. It would make a perfect desk for me. It only needs a little bit of furbishing and a coat of paint, and it would be as good as new. I should get on the project, especially since my grandma is more than happy to give it to me, but I can't store it anywhere. Such a shame, such a shame.
I also found an old bottle with the label Rákóczi vodka on it, it was bottled in May, 1989. I never thought there has ever existed such a thing as Rákóczi vodka. It must have been real quality spirit.:)

Here's an assortment of photos from today. Enjoy! 













If all goes well, tomorrow I am going to see the búcsú, let's hope there will be at least a bit of sunshine, so I will be able to take nice & bright photos.

(*Is there a better word for udvar in English than courtyard? It is obviously AmE, but is there a BrE equivalent? I know there's the word garden, which in BrE we use not only in the sense of "the place where you grow vegetables and fruits" but in udvar sense too. However, what if I want to differenciate between udvar and kert? What words should I use then? I reckon they don't have two different words for the two areas/places. Unlike Hungarians, the English probably did not need to invent two different words for them, since agriculturally and socially Britain developed quite differently from Hungary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment