March 21, 2011

My New Toys

Look, what I've got! It's my brand new vintage super-dooper Zenit-E SLR camera. 

Back in the summer, upon one of my wanderings on the internet I learned about a pretty, blue camera, called Diana. I hadn't heard about it before, but kind of fell in love with it on the spot, because it's cute, looks pretty, sheek, and it takes one of its kind, kind of weird but cool photos. I was thinking about buying one once I could afford it, but after giving it some more thought I realized that it probably was not worth its prize, and I would have to pay a whole lot of money for  the brand, the stylisheness, the trendiness, and the cute looks, but I would end up with a less than mediocre, plastic camera that I would get bored of in a couple of months, because there's hardly any potential in it. I also realized that these good old Soviet Zenit cameras are being sold by the dozen for a really cheap prize, so I might as well find a good deal, get one, insead of throwing out all that money on a Diana. Last week I finally found my really good deal, and bought this pretty Zenit E machine for a bargain of couple of thousand forints. I haven't bought a roll of film yet though, but I can hardly wait to do so, to have a couple of hours of free time on  my hands and crispy spring weather with clear blue sky behind my back, and actually start shooting with a real camera camera camera. It's high time I finally started mastering the real art of photography. I am pretty sure I am going to screw up a couple of rolls first, because analogue cameras work completely differently than digital ones, plus it will also take me some time to figure out how to have the proper settings, but I just know that it's the real deal! Photographes are meant to be printed, held in hands, stuck into actual, real photo albums (or framed and hung on walls).

By the way, some time ago I also dug out my good old automatic camera I got for my birthday when I was about 12 years old. I had not used it for at least 5-6 years, but I wanted to go back to basics, take proper, real photos, shoot on film, and realize again how it feels not to have the advantages of the digital camera, get photos develoved and hold actual photographs in my hands, printed on paper. So I bought a roll of black and white film, started wandering around in the city and took some photos. Boy, it's not easy! There's still a lot of shots left on the roll, I should finish it off sooner or later, cause I can hardly wait to see them developed.

And my other new toy is this tripod. I few months ago I started playing with long exposure photography; however I quickly realized that in order to do this properly, and to take really good night photos of the superpretty Budapest I must have a tripod. So I finally bought one. Now I only have to gather my ever so growing gear, tand ake off into the night. Should do so in the next few days. Fingers crossed that we'll have clear nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment