March 27, 2011

Budapest By Night




On Thursday evening I did pack up my gear, and set off to wander around in the Budapest night  and shoot for a couple of hours. My feet took me to Erzsébet híd, where a few months ago on a bright and crispy autumn morning I took a few really pretty photos. I knew that it was a good spot to try out the tripod, and to take long exposure shots from the bridge. Boy, am I glad to have bought a tripod! It works wonderfully (and so does my camera, it was such a great purchase. Probably the best thing I have ever bought.) and I can take supersharp photos with it! ...and, it isn't heavy at all, I had no problem walking around with it, and setting it up literally takes about 5 seconds. But enough with all this babbling, let the pictures speak for themselves. These are the better ones (you can enlarge the photos by clicking on them):








Obviously, these shots have nothing to do with originality, as I am pretty sure that the exact same photos from the exact same spots have been taken by millions of tourists and a few professional photographers as well. But originality was not the point this time: I wanted to see the difference a tripod makes, and also, wanted to find out whether my camera was capable of taking really sharp, and nice bright night photos. Indeed, it is, so hurray! So now I have these pretty pictures, I guess some of them could make a nice postcard. 
An utterly cliche-ish and ever so unoriginal but quite pretty postcard.

By the way, I descovered that I have a thing for bridges... Just give me a bridge crossing a river (they tend to cross rivers, believe me!), and I will take a hundred photos of it. And I also have a thing for trams, especially the old yellow ones - like tram 47-49 (Combinos have nothing on them!), whenever I see one I have this sudden urge to get my camera and take photos. So when there's a yellow tram crossing a bridge, or when there's a tram in the foreground and a bridge and the river in the background,  I go super-photo-crazy and start shooting ASAP. And when all this happens at night? It pretty much squares my going photo crazy.

Today we are also having quite a clear day, so if I can get some work done during the day, I will go out in the evening, probably up to the Castle or to Lánchíd, and take some more unoriginal but very pretty pictures. 
Thank god I got bridges to shot.
Budapest is just the city for me.

 (The photos have also been published on Bright Lights, Big City.)

No comments:

Post a Comment