July 5, 2010

“I never let my school interfere with my education”

So, I guess I haven’t been very active around this blog lately. I could say that  I’ve been busy, since it  was the end of semester at the uni and then there was the exam period and I studied my butt off. But that’s not true. I  have to admit that I care less and less about university by each term. I know it’s  an utterly arrogant thing to say, but I just don’t feel that they have too much to offer me any more regarding my education. You know there’s a Mark Twain quotation that I bumped into a couple of years ago: “ I never let my school interfere with my education”. Back then I thought it sounded cool, so I kept it, and started quoting it here and there. And then, a few weeks ago it hit me: I became this quotation, I really live by it now, and it isn’t only a cool sentence anymore. Because lately I utterly refuse almost everything that the university tries to trick me into. Nowadays I use my critical thinking skills more than I have ever had (It’s a bit ironic though, for I had a seminar titled “Critical thinking”  few terms ago. So apparently I do not turn everything down college has offered me.), and I refuse to learn anything that I think I will not need in the future or that won’t be useful. Or maybe, simply I have had enough of university. Who knows?

Nevertheless, I am aware that I still have a whole lot to learn, but I decided  that I prefer learning  not at university but in the school of life (that’s the cliché of the day, hurrah!) and not from textbooks and not teachers or critics’ opinions but through experience. I do know that I still have to read an endless number of books ( after all, I have this yearning in me to read all the books in the world… or at least the good ones), I still want to travel the world, learn numerous other cultures, suck in as much art and beauty as possible, and pick up a few skills as well. But I don’t believe this all can be done by sitting by a school desk. That’s  why I don’t think this university of mine can offer me too much any more. And that’s way I don’t let my school interfere with my education.

Anyway, the school is over, I finished another term (there is still two to go until my BA degree), only had two exams in this period, and got those done too. Spent quite some time hanging out at home in Miskolc in this past couple of months, and enjoyed it fairly much. This week though, I am sticking around in Budapest, for the organization I am volunteering for is having a “project week” this week, and we are trying to get some work done and making some steps ahead in our tasks. On Friday I will go home again though for a week or so and spend some time at my  Grandma’s. However, I cannot lay back and let myself relax and not care about anything, for I must find a summer job ASAP. I must make some money, for I do not know what I will live on in September… Not to mention that there will also be a Coldplay concert in Budapest in September and I really really should/ would love to go, since I missed it two years ago… This chance came around again, I must not miss it this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment