October 31, 2018

The Prodigal Daughter Returns, Yet Again

Guess what, after almost six years, I have decided to return to blogging in English and try to breath life into this very blog. (In the last six years I hardly ever practiced my English, especially not my writing skills, so excuse my lack of diverse vocab or the grammar mistakes I might make. Although I am not sure whom I addressed in the previous sentence, as even at its height of popularity, Scriboholic had the total number of only four followers, and even they wandered off for the obvious reasons.)

A whole lot has changed in the online community since I went AWOL back in 2013. It feels like the days of good ol' blogging - especially simple, free blogger and wordpress blogs are long gone, hardly anyone produces written content anymore, since it requires waaay too much effort, and comes with less than enough pay off. Sometime in the last few years, video killed the radio blogger stars, and Youtube and Instagram has taken over our lives. These days vloggers (or shall I say influencers?) are in charge of entertaining us and influencing - ever so subtly - our consuming habits, while becoming extremely well-known and wealthy by selling out their precious and ever so fun personalities online (a.k.a. building their self-brand), without actually producing too much of a valuable content. 

Anyway, I have spent way too many hours mindlessly scrolling through insta feeds and half-paying attention to vlogs while getting ready to go out or tidying up the kitchen, only to become sick of them and miss terribly the good old fashioned, simple days of blogging. I have spent the last eight months at home, jobless, mostly doing nothing but loads of reading, very little writing, some journaling, quite a lot of swimming, and wasting way too much time on social media (And watching a shitload of tv shows.) I was so burnt out and such a nervous wreck in the beginning of the year, that it took me more than six months to gather my creativity and find my desire to create. It's been one hell of a long and winding road since I stopped blogging in 2012, but my mojo is finally back and my fingertips are itching for the keyboard.

And you know what? I am an old fashioned girl and I'm gonna pretend it's still 2012, it's still the golden days of good ol' blogging, and not just because I don't know the first thing about making videos. Because I'm not in it for the fame or the fortune, heck, the last thing I want to do is to influence anyone. I'm in it for the writing, for the joy of creating, for the joy of sharing the blissful moments of my life, and having a place where I can keep all my precious digital memories for posterity. I just need a little corner of the world where I can write and put up my photos on the endless walls of the internet, because it's so much fun to scroll through the years of archives, reread my posts from years ago, and realize how much I went through since the last days of October 2009 - when I decided to start this blog - and how far I have come. But I did not come this far to only come this far. A new chapter of my life is about to start, there is still a long way to go, and I still need a place where I can hold on to my memories. And this is just the place for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment