November 4, 2012

in my mailbox (4)


similarly to last week, my mailbox has been rather empty this week too, without any new books bought or borrowed from the library. nevertheless, let me share with you what i am reading at the moment:
  • nanny returns by nicola kraus and emma mclaughlin: it's the sequel of the bestseller chic-lit the nanny diaries which was later turned into a big hollywood movie starring scarlett johansson. i don't remember when i read the nanny diaries the first time.(was it in england? nope, it must have been during college. it's a complete blur.)anyway, i liked it enough to buy its sequel a few years ago, and, finally, yesterday i was in the mood for this very novel. similarly to many other chic lit pieces, once the story pulled me in, the book became quite a page-turner, and all of a sudden i found myself on page 200 (out of 300). it is, indeed, chic lit, but with a sophisticated narrative and a rather advanced vocabulary. i will hunt down other books of the same co-authors. (by the way, how can a novel have two authors? how does it work? what method do they use? how do they divide the work and decide who writes which part?)
  • slaughterhouse-five by kurt vonnegut: i am not quite sure whether vonnegut is my cup of tea. this is my third attempt to get through one of his novels, and, clearly, i have some doubts about finishing this classic (especially since it is due back at the library tomorrow and i am at page 30). back at the uni i was required to read cat's cradle for a lit class two different seminars, and, due to lack of time (but probably more importantly: lack of interest), i failed to complete it both times. it was just way too weird for me, and i could not make heads or tails out of the story. then a couple of months ago i came cross the breakfast of champions at the library, and decided to give good old kurt yet another chance. but, just like previously, i failed to finish the book and returned it unread. in fact, i hardly reached page 50. this time, with this classic i am determined to make it to the last page. we will see how it goes. and whether i will have any fun in the meantime. (i better have fun, becuase i own vonnegut's collection of short stories entitled where mortals sleep - a birthday present from my sister - and i should read that as well sooner or later. (later, rather.)

so what have you been reading lately?



in my mailbox is a weekly meme originally hosted by the story siren, in which book bloggers post about the books they have bought, borrowed or received in the past week. since it began it has become fairly popular, and numerous book blogs post their weekly in my mailbox meme.

1 comment:

  1. I've read Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut and I liked it. And I think I've read 1 or 2 other pieces as well, but can't remember which.

    ReplyDelete