October 29, 2012

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

source
woohoooo, it did come, it snowed today! the very first snowstorm of the season arrived on october 29! there wasn't much of it in my neck of the woods though, melting immediately after reaching ground.
still, there were plenty of beautiful, white, fluffy, enormous flakes waltzing around in the air for at least an hour. such a shame i was at work and didn't have my camera with me, so i couldn't capture the pretty dancing flakes. nevertheless, an excellent way to kick off the winter season, isn't? fingers crossed, there's lots and lots more to come some time very soon. 

and until then? i am waiting patiently, and letting myself slowly fall for the holiday season as the christmas spirit is already rising in me. i do realize that yammering about the holidays and the stores being packed with christmas merchandise drive most people nuts, especially since it's not even november yet. as a matter of fact, not even halloween is out of the way. but me? i am a total winter and christmas junkie. this year, i decided, i won't even pretend being the grinch and not liking the holidays and all the consumer society craziness sorrounding it.

 i adore all things winter and christmas, and looking forward to the season from early september on. i just can't help myself falling for it, this warm and fuzzy feeling washing over me as the icy cold weather appears, accompanied by all the decorations, the wrapping papers, the little knick-knacks, the desserts (especially szaloncukor), and the tunes in the stores. my tumblr dashboard overflowing with thousands of cheesy christmas photos. the big fat snow clouds above head, and crunchy snow under feet. catching snowflakes with my tongue. the crispy air making my cheeks rosy. beret hats, gloves, mittens, enormous chunky knitted scarves. oh, and the scents! the scent of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and citrus fruits. cups and cups of hot tea and mulled wine. baking gingerbread men and making eggnog. hanging up mistletoes. and picking the prettiest, most delicious smelling fir tree. 

ah, don't get me started! you know what i am listening to right now? diana krall's christmas album. in fact, i was already listening to it the other weekend when i was making pumpkin cookies. as i was putting the record on, it occured to me: only the middle of october and i am already singing 'let it snow'? the holiday spirit sure did rise early in me this year. but i just can help it, i enjoy the whole thing way too much.
beyond help, i know, i am.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I have grown out of the whole Christmas/holiday season thing, but it is reassuring to know that some people still embrace the December festivities with such enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first snow fall is so pretty! Great blog you have here!

    http://bronsonbloopers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ashley! Yours is pretty too, I decided to follow.

    ReplyDelete