November 1, 2011

In the Past Two Weeks

...life has gotten a lot busier than it had been in the previous months. I have started (or at least tried) to worry  less, enjoy life again, hanging out and going out with friends more, exploring the city, attending exhibitions, going to the cinema, roaming the streets, seizing the day, you know.:)
  • Where the hell is Matt was in town and we went to see him. My friends danced along with the enormous crowd that gathered at Halászbástya, while I did the photographing part.


  • Then on our way home, as we were walking down to Moszkva tér from the castle, we bumped into a huge container with a massive bunch of books in it, all left behind and abandoned. Poor old, abandoned books! We stopped right there, without the slightest doubt crossing our minds, Zsö jumped into the bin and we dug in... Then the best, most interesting volumes we carried home with us. I still wonder why would anyone throw out their books in such a fashion? Why didn't they put them in a cardboard box and leave them by the bin?


  • As the weather has turned colder and more autumnish, I witnessed some really pretty, crispy, and foggy mornings. 

  • Then one Saturday morning I went pumpkin hunting with my friend Csilla. We discovered a new market (well, the market itself isn't so new, but it is for us...) where they sell all sorts of marvellous Cserpes products. I am completely taken aback by Cserpes goodies, especially their Trudi and flavoured yogurts. I'll surely make almost-daily pilgrimages to the place. (Which is Cédrus Piac on Örs vezér tere.)
  • Then once we put our hands on the most handsome pumpkin, we turned him into the most handsome jack-o-lantern, and named him Tóbiás. Unfortunately Tobiás has passed away since then, may him rest in peace. Still, he lived a short but utterly happy life, during which he was loved and admired by an entire floor of university students. Isn't he simply gorgeous?
 
  • I discovered a new cafe with my friend Joci. Well, actually - just like in the case of the market - the place itself isn't so new, but it was a new experience for us. It's Szatyor on Bartók Béla street, which used to be Karinthy's haunt. It seemed like a lighter, a bit more sophisticated edition of Csendes. 
  • I also went to Sugar Shop, the design confectionary around Oktogon, with my friends Meli and Anita, where we treated ourselves with some truly tastebud-watering and heavenly cakes. (This place definitely deserves its own post!)
  • In the spirit of Halloween and as October was the month of the pumpkin, Meli and I made pumpkin pie, a delicacy I had wanted to try for a long time. Unfortunately it ended up being kind of a disappointment. No, actually, it was a definite disappointment. But I'm still not sure what went wrong: did I use the wrong kind of condensed milk? Did I use too little sugar or too much spicing? The taste just wasn't good, that's for sure.
  • I went to see Into the Wild which is (one of) my favorite movie(s), but surely the most inspiring one I have ever seen. I admire it, but I hadn't seen it in the cinema, on the big screen yet. Every once in a while they do show it in random cinemas, but somehow I always let my last chance slip by. Well, this time, I didn't miss my chance. And how glad I am, I didn't! I still find Into the Wild an exceptionally beautiful, breathtaking film, not to mention its perfect soundtrack by Eddie Vedder.
photo via google images
  • I also attended the Wold Press Photo exhibition in Néprajzi Múzeum. As you can assume I enjoy going to photo exhibitions, and this was a truly exceptional and inspiring one, grabbing attention and casting light on devastating natural disasters, catastrophies, and religious and civil wars that occured in the world in 2010. There were such tremendous and breathtaking photos that they even brought tears into my eyes. (There were some pretty funny ones too, as you can see from the photo below.)


photo via
  • After the exhibition I took part in the demonstration against the new educational bill/law. It was the first demonstration I have ever attended or taken photos of. The whole event was completely peaceful and free of political manifestation; yet, I had been sort of nervous about the demonstration turning into a violent fight against the authorities. Luckily, it did not. Nevertheless, I feel know that I have to toughen it up if I ever want to become serious about photojournalism. Anyhow, let's hope that the demonstration will be effective, and the next generation will also have the chance to attend college without being punished for wanting to get an education.
  • I had some new glasses made. Fortunately, my eyes did not get worse, I just got bored of my old rim. The pair I am getting is not the exact same pair as in the picture, but something very similar. (And please excuse that odd expression I am wearing on my face.) (A photo may come later.)

    And now all I need is the perfect red beret hat to be ready for winter.:)
          And snow, of course, snow. I need lots and lots of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment