May 10, 2011

Julia's Kitchen Wisdom

These days I am reading As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto,which gives a good insight to the blooming friendship of two astonishing women, the making of a classic cookbook, and the cultural-political atmosphere of the era. It is a fairly entertaining read, especially Julia Child's seemingly naive, but quite witty sense of humour.
I am only on page 104 yet, but I have already underlined a few sentences that I really liked and found either interesting and/or funny. Here they are:

"Do you think a cliche is less of a cliche when it is in two languages?"

"My, I get so depressed after a poor meal; that's why I can never stay in England for more than a week."

"And I hope you have a subtle mind, too. Myself, I am infinitely subtle and extremely worldly."

"I hate only a very few people, one being Mme. Brassard head of the Cordon Bleu who is a nasty, mean woman; McCarthy, whom I don't know; and Old Guard Republicans, whom I see as little as possible."

"If we ever get into the money I am going to have a kitchen where everything is my height, and non of this pigmy stuff, and maybe 4 ovens, and 12 burners all in a line, and 3 broilers, and a charcoal grill, and a spit that turns."

"...I was at that time living under the Queensborough Bridge being a career woman. I had intended to be a great woman novelist, but for some reason The New Yorker didn't ask me to be on its staff, and I ended up in the advertisment dept. of W&J Sloane."

"I never want to throw anything away and Paul wants to throw everything away; so between us it works out quite reasonably. (In one of Paul's throw-away moods, we threw out our marriage licence, some years ago, which was going a bit far, I think.) Paul says most women like to keep everything because it is their nesting instinct. Maybe he's right."

No comments:

Post a Comment