April 3, 2011

"I can resist everything except temptation"

I sooo sooo should not be here blogging, but I just cannot resist. I have only four weeks left to finish my thesis, and I am freaking out. I think I am positive I have done quite a lot of work so far, I have read enough reference books, I have taken several pages of notes, I have all these thoughts zigzagging in my head. I do know what I want to write about, I even know how I will organize the essay. I also have the abstract. But the actual, real writing during which I am sweating blood as I give birth to every single sentence is yet to start. Although I know it's high time I started it already (hence my freaking out), still, there's a part of me that would keep putting it off... but there's also another part of me that just wants to get it over with, be done with the bloody thing, get rid of the pressure and the never stopping anxiety. I want go out every other night, go to the cinema, see the exhibitions, wander around in the city, and take photos for hours without having bad conscience and feeling guilty. So I guess I should just sit down, write the damn thing and get it over with...

There is beautiful spring outside, and I feel like I am wasting every single second I spend chained to my desk or captured in the stuffy air of the library... I find it so hard to resist to go out in the evening and enjoy the ever so marvelous Budapest night. Somebody please take away my camera equipment for these four weeks of April, so I don't even have to fight the temptation of going out... 

This week I have been a naughty girl, for I hardly spent any time researching/writing the thesis. I worked quite a lot though, I gave 13 lessons which is more than I usually do, I also had a big mid-term test on Friday that required a lot of preparation. Not to mention that on Monday and Tuesday I wasn't able to fight temptation and went out in the evening. 
On Monday I had a couple of friends with me who were more than happy (?) to assist me and carry my tripod. 



We started off on Batthyány, as I wanted to take a good still shot of Parlament. Well, to our great suprise, it was sort of unlit, or at least it wasn't as lit up as it is usually. (Did they forget to turn the lights back on after Earth Hour?) Nevertheless, I did take a few photos of the building, but it's kind of lousy, don't you think?



Then we walked along the river bank, first down on the embankment then up on the sidewalk. I am  more amazed by the incredible architecture of Budapest by each day. We couldn't get enough of the sight of Lánchíd, I still think that it's just simply marvelous.  This is probably why I set up the tripod on every 5 meters and took a bunch of photos as we were nearing the bridge... 






Although I enjoyed having company, I realized again that photography is a solitary activity, for I am able to take really good pictures only when I am alone. Just me and my camera, no distraction, no one to keep pace with, that's what I need. So on Tuesday I went alone, that time to Margitsziget. I was hoping to see and catch a nice colorful sunset which would have made a rather cheesy and ever so beautiful/unoriginal "foot of the bridge  in the front, sunset and the city in the background of the photo" composition. However, I guess it wasn't windy enough, for the sunset was hardly colorful... Still, I managed to take a few nice shots as the sun was setting, then all the lights got turned on, and all of a sudden it was dark all around. 





There is something unique about sitting on a bench right next to a river bank at the foot of a bridge with the bright lights of a metropolis in the background. It is like hitting the pause button for a few minutes while the rest of the world rushes on. Whenever I see and take a photo of such a sight, the poster of Woody Allen's Manhattan comes to my mind. 

Oh, how I wish to take my very own photo of the Manhattan bridge!
(I know I will, just give me time, just give me time.)

(The quote in the title is by Sir Oscar Wilde, and source of Manhattan movies poster is this site.)

No comments:

Post a Comment