January 24, 2011

Getting Creative

This is the last day of my long weekend at home, as tomorrow I am returning to Budapest, and hopefully I will get into thesis mood already. Today I finally took out my super-duper typewriter,  which I am completely in love with, and played with it for a little bit. This is what I ended up with:


Yep, it's a bookmark made of fabric, with one of my favorite quotes on it by Jack Kerouac from On the Road. It wasn't the first such bookmark though, as I made one for my sister's birthday a little over a month ago.

I think it's a great idea to type on simple white fabric just like it was a sheet of paper, then mix/sew it together with other pieces of fabrics, becuase  this way words and complete texts can appear on surfaces where they either haven't appeared before or where they can only appear with the help of a professional printer. Not to mention that using vintage typewriters feels a little bit like time-travelling, and the typewriter font is supercool and I adore it! I am constantly brainstorming with myself about how I could use this technique, what other surfaces are there where such typewritten fabric could be placed? Patchwork-style bags, simple cotton shopping bags, pencilcases, and cosmetic bags would most certainly be chic with literary (and other) quotes on them, wouldn't they? I guess I'm gonna go on brainstorming, looking at photos and looking for ideas until I find the best and most creative one. 

By the way, it's such a shame I can't type in the dorm, I would definitely be more productive, had I got the chance to use my typewriter there... Especially since I do have a typewriter with me in the dorm, but it's so loud, that even though both the window and the door are closed, my neighbours can still hear it, and it would probably annoy the heck out of them. Not to mention that it's exam period, everybody is on a crazy schedule, either studying or trying to sleep. 
Bummer.

(The book in the second picture is Puszibolt by Cserna-Szabó András, I'm gonna read it sometime soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment