July 20, 2010

I Should Leave


Although I did not like the book, here is a hilarious dialogue from SATC. I had a really good laugh when reading it. Not to mention that it shows the real essence of their relationship.

I can't take it, Carrie thinks, waking up one morning. She lies there, watching Mr. Big until he opens his eyes. Instead of kissing her, he gets up to go to the bathroom. That's it, she thinks.
When he comes back to bed, she says, "Listen, I've been thinking."
"Yeah?" says Mr. Big.
"If you're not totally in love with me and crazy about me, and if you don't think I'm the most beautiful woman you've ever seen in your life, then I think I shold leave."
"Uh huh," says Mr. Big.
"Really, it's no problem."
"Okay," Mr. Big says, somewhat cautiously.
"Soooooo...is that what you want?"
"Is it what you want?" says Mr. Big.
"No, not really. But I do want to be with someone who's in love with me," says Carrie.
"Well, I just can't make any guarantees right now. But if I were you, I'd hang around. See what happens."
Carrie lies back against be pillows. It's Sunday. It would be sort of a drag to have to go. What would she do with the rest of the day?
"Okay," she says, "but just for now. I don't have forever, you know. I'm probably going to die soon. Like in fifteen years or something." She lights up a cigarette.
"Okay," says Mr. Big. "But in the meantime, could you make me some coffee? Please?"

(Bushnell, Candance. Sex and the City. 1996. pp 152-153)
(photo via www.weheartit.com)


2 comments:

  1. I don’t think I’ve ever seen full episodes of Sex and the City; I only saw small bits of episodes. I haven’t seen the movie either, and I have no intentions to read the book whatsoever. BUT once I read a review (of the movie) that was truly hilarious.

    Here it is: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-siedell/a-review-of-emsex-and-the_b_593554.html

    By the way, the quotation is really sort of funny, but doesn’t seem to be a well-written piece since the writer only uses the phrase “say.” The word [he or she] “says” is used eight times in that short passage. It must be awfully boring if the narration continues like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's really hilarious. This one is also very funny, you should read it:
    http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/burkas-and-birkins/Content?oid=4132715

    The narration of the book is, indeed, very boring, probably that's its biggest problem.

    ReplyDelete