November 2, 2009

Bon apetit!


So, guess what? I found the most charming movie of the year. Julie & Julia, it is. I already saw it about two weeks ago, right after its premier (which in Hungary was October 15th) . After watching if for the first time, I thought it was an okay film, nothing special though, with the very odd character of Meryl Streep, accompanied by her annoying intonation and high-pitch voice, and the always cutie-goodie Amy Adams. Just a usual chic-flick that takes your mind off whatever you have to worry about for a good two hours. Then days passed by, and  Julie and Julia was still there fidgeting in the back of my mind... Soon I had realized, I just had to see it again, because I was yearning for that mesmerizing atmoshpere this movie has. I couldn't resist anymore, so yesterday I went to an afternoon showing of J&J... And believe it or not, watching it the second time, I liked it even more... much more, as a matter of fact. I found Meryl Street's character not so annoying any more (still very odd though, as it was supposed to be; Streep does a splendid job, as always) and Amy Adams is, indeed, very cute, but that is why she is such a loveable actress. This the character that suits her so perfectly. 
Anne Roth is the costume designer of J&J, too, and she has also done such a good job. She not only dressed Streep authenticly, but, more importantly, she found the most suitable clothes for Adams' cutie-goodie character. I adore those charming (and very stylish!) accessories, especially the brooches. Then, the music score suits and supports that mesmerizing atmoshere of the film, especially the 1950's and 1960's parts - Time after time by Margaret Whiting and Henry Wolfe's Stop the rain are my favorites. (However, I have no clue what the heck is Talking Heads' Psycho Killer doing on the OST???)
I reckon  it's no surprise I admire J&J so much, as I love Norah Eprhon's previous films too, When Harry Met Sally... and  You've Got Mail are two of my favorites when it comes to love comedies. 
Thank you, Norah, and Bon apetit!
PS: And to top it all, I have just ordered Julie Powell's book. Can't wait to have it and start  reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment