March 15, 2011

The Best Brownies (EVER)

It's high time I finally wrote about these incredibly easy-made but oh-so-yummy brownies of mine Allrecipes.com. I baked them again yesterday, they turned out marvelous - as usual, I must add -, so is there a better time to write about The Best Brownies? I have made them at least a dozen times, and shared the recipe with half a dozen people, and I must say, everybody who has at least a bite of them goes like: "Hmmmmm, hmmmmm, whoa, what is this, this sooo delicious! ....Can I have another one, please?.... Hmmm, this is sooo good!" Then girls go on like: "Please put it away, otherwise I'll eat the entire tray of brownies... But can I have the recipe please?" While guys go on like: "Can I have just one last piece, please? ... and a last last one, okay?" They are so yummy, that I haven't been able to take a pretty photo of them: for some mysterious reason I always end up making them in the evening when there's no natural light, only ugly neons provide light, and I cannot take a decent picture (I would have to use the flash, and I loath using the flash)... then by the following day, the brownies utterly mysteriously disappear...
So this is how the recipe goes (copied from Allrecipes.com):

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 2 packs of vanilla sugar)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
  2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook. 
As you can see, it's probably the easiest thing you can ever bake. However, I do have a few sidenotes on the recipe:
  • It's quite a small portion, and it does not fill properly the usual sized pan (eg: 9x13 inches, the so-called négytojásos piskóta tepsi), so I double each ingredient, with two exceptions: instead of 2/3 mug of cocoa powder, I use a whole cup of cocoa, and 2 cups of sugar is way too much and too sweet, so about 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 cup will be most certainly enough. 
  • I do not melt the butter in a saucepan, but I simply microwave it (on very low temperature), and mix the ingredients in a big bowl
  • If you double the ingredients, you have to bake the dough for a longer time, for about 35-40 minutes. However, it's important not to overbake it, becuase the real American brownies are almost unbaked in the middle. Obviously it does have to be somewhat solid in the middle as well, but don't let is go dry. It's so much better when it's crunchy on the outside and fudgy in the middle.
  • The recipe also writes chocolate frosting; however, I have never made them because I think the brownies would be too sweet, too fulsome. It is sweet and chocolaty, and perfect enough without the frosting, believe me.
  • You will end up with a richer, crunchier taste if you put half a cup or a cup of chopped walnuts/peanuts or chocolate chips into the dough.
...and that's it, folks. I don't think it can get any easier, or the deliousness/ difficulty ratio can get any better.

You can find the original recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment