March 22, 2010

Book of The Week #2

As another weekend is passing me by incredibly quickly,I'm just finishing The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. This is another book I enjoy consuming fairly much; as a matter of fact, whenever I read it, I rush through it in a few days. I remember buying the book at that large HMV store on Oxford Street three years ago, in March 2007, one of those days I spent in London au pairing. I didn't look for it, the Devil found me as I was standing in line in front of the cashier waiting to pay for a couple of dvd-s I'd picked up. Its beautiful cover immediately grabbed my attention with the bright red stiletto and the downturned pitchfork as the shoe's heel on it. I had already been familiar with the movie for there was quite a hype around it as the dvd was just coming out. I always like reading the original stories, the novels which the adaptations are based on, so I thought I would give it a shot, especially since it was only 5 quids. So I purchased the book along with the dvd-s, then not only read it, but adored it, too. I love how this book makes me feel: I get to peek into the everyday life of that infamous High Society (which most of us find loathsome, still, we would die to somehow make it into the closed and vicious circle of the High-and-Mighty), of the publishing industry, and enjoy the breathtaking atmoshpere of the Big Apple (where I've been longing to go for such a long time!). Last week I bumped into a documentary that came out a few months ago: The September Issue which chronicles Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour's preparations for the 2007 fall-fashion issue, whom the character of Miranda Priestley, the antagonist of the novel, is based on. I found it very arresting, all of a sudden I grew so interested in Anna Wintour that I immediately ordered her biography written by Jerry Oppenheimer... I also started yearning for The Devil Wears Prada, and decided to read it for the third time too, right after I was done with My Life in France. So tonight I am finishing it, and hopefully the Front Row will be delivered by tomorrow because I can hardly wait to read the (hopefully) authentic, non-fiction account of Anna Wintour's life as the ruler of the fashion industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment